Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Alpha Female

This girl knows who the alpha female is in our house.
It's the person who is cooking the burgers.
(Look away if you're a vegetarian.)
It was 65 flipping degrees here today and I had to bust out the grill.
I'm still not feeling so hot but it was too nice to drive my car so I decided to ride Pippa to work.
If you recall Pippa is my new ride whom I had on layaway. I hadn't named her when I first got her but decided that Pippa she is, and Pippa she shall be.
Anywho, it was seriously warm and lovely today.
We all got to see what the spring forecast will be for our lawns because all the snowbanks are melting and revealing the garbage they've held insulated in white for the past month. Since no one will pick up their trash it will just be buried again by the next snow storm only to be revealed again in the spring.
It's not a pretty sight.
I bought my books today for my class I'm taking this spring.
$99.95.
I couldn't have guessed that total even if Bob Barker were holding a slim microphone in my face and promising me I would win the Showcase.
Speaking of The Price is Right has anyone watched it since Drew Carey took over?
Whenever I'm home on weekdays (too rarely for my taste) I usually stick with TCM and forget about network tv but I would like to see how Drew is doing.
He's a former Marine as some of you may know.
Back to my schoolwork -- I've decided to take a class that the catalog calls "Studies in English Renaissance Literature" but which the instructor has fine tuned into "Ovid and the Renaissance".
I wasn't sure if I wanted to take this class because I was considering "Studies in American Literature 1920-1945" but three things helped me make my decision.
Firstly, the Ovid class is on a Thursday night and I've had Monday night classes for the past three semesters. Mondays are cruel (and not April, as has been widely proclaimed).
Secondly, I've never read Ovid and have wanted to for a while.
Thirdly, the professor describes Ovid's Metamorphoses as, "...a surprisingly smutty read."
Ding ding ding.
Now that sounds like fun!
(If you want a really baudy read, check out Francois Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel.)
And in making my decision www.ratemyprofessors.com did not figure into the equation in its final stages but was only be used as a variable. (I guess someone could start the website called www.ratemystudents.com - but I think professors already have -- it's called GRADES -- and that is why the students get so pissed).
Now that I'm registered and have paid for my books (but still have to pay for my class) I need to hurry up and clear my knitting plate so I don't have much hanging over me when the semester begins.
And that leads us into tomorrow's post!
Y'all come back now, ya here!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Your class sounds interesting. I have had very little experience with Renaissance Lit., and I haven't ever read Ovid either.

I may put it on my list. This month, I'm planning to download Persuasion and listen to it while going for a walk every day after school.....I'm planning, I haven't actually done it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oh, there's a Rate My Students site, believe it or not. It looks like some students read it, even.