Tuesday, December 19, 2006

New ideas to rid myself of stash yarn, and yes this means knitting them (and following directions)

Wendy over at WendyKnits has a new plan for 2007.
Knit from your stash; this pretty much follows the idea behind much depression-era thinking which is "make do or do without."
Well I want to do without. For a bit anyway.
There's even a hot, new button or four you can choose from.
These two are my favorites:

She has even developed a set of rules which I will copy here forthwith. Now these rules were created for Wendy and her friend, L-B. Chances are if Wendy had a look at my stash she'd create a new chapter in her next book entitled "The Determined, Yet Still a Loser, Knitter." And then light fire to all the acrylic yarn in my house while laughing at the puny amount of good yarn I own. Here are her rules with an extra-special caveat at the end:

"1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months.

2. We will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:

2.a. Sock yarn does not count. What? You think we are made of stone?

2.b. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that we really and truly do not have the yarn for, we may buy yarn to knit that gift.

2.c. If we are knitting something and run out of yarn, we may purchase enough to complete the project.

2.d. We each get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- we are each allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

3. We are allowed to receive gifts of yarn.

4. Spinning fiber of any sort is exempt.

Anyone else who would like to join us in this is welcome to do so! Feel free to link to this page or to post the guidelines on your own blog. You may also alter the guidelines to suit your own situation."

Yes folks, it does say, "...alter the guidelines to suit your own situation..."
A nice easy out. And that third rule -- what does that say??? Gifts of yarn - yes, we can buy and give to each other. Ahh, how nice. And what Wendy doesn't say in her rules, however, applies to knitters like me with pitiful stashes -- there is the possibility that I might knit through all of my stash yarn! And if you believe that, George Strait and I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona. At the speed with which I knit I think I might still be working on a lace hanky by the end of next year, unless I have about 25 works in progress. And that's actually doable.

Now, if I can just find Bleak House on CD or cassette and we get a blizzard in by the first week of January, I'll be all set.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ooh! A comment from Wendy. Now you can tell DH that she truly is your friend! I think it's a great idea. Just beware of hosting a contest for a PTA Knit-a-Thon where your stash quadruples in size. Now I am going to try to host another PTA Knit-a-thon at another school to use up all that yarn.

Do you lose weight on a yarn diet?