Monday, January 22, 2007

Long Mondays

First off, thank you all for your thoughts on whether I should take a class or not.
I would have to think that my mind had already been made up for me as soon as I saw the book list.
In other words, yes, I signed up for it.
And here is my rationale:

I will not be changing jobs in the middle of the semester like I did last semester.

My hours at my current job are shorter than in my previous one (although it's a lower position, right Sheri and Jean?)

My commute to work is 4 minutes vice 30.

My commute from home to classroom is 1 1/2 blocks.

I will not be in charge of Girl Scout cookie sales this semester.

I am already organized for the semester and thinking ahead to what paper I'll write (15 pages) and what picture book I'll discuss in class (30 minute presentation) at the end of the semester.

And as my friend Rick advised me, take classes in the winter months and save the summers for the family.

That's farther than I was last semester at this time. I used to leave work at 5:00 or just prior and zoom home only to zoom to class. So Caroline, your words of advice were certainly appreciated and spot on, but I ended up deciding to register anyway.
Why?
Well, because as Laura put it so succinctly, I'm a learning junkie. If I'm not in a class I feel as if I'll be missing out. Plus, I don't have to pay for anything but the books and I got those on Friday for $50. Now that's a nice price to pay for textbooks you have to admit.
Anyway I've read the syllabus already and for the first week we have to read some passages from Plato, John Locke and some others regarding the importance of education for children. And I've already read Plato and Locke for my other master's program, so we're old friends.
So I'm set.
Wish me luck - class starts tonight and goes from 6:00-9:15 so it's going to be a long Monday.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hooray for the learning junkies! We will ultimately rule the world. And welcome back to the world of essays and research papers. I have two papers due this Wednesday. I must say though, that I have missed the mental challenge. So, HOORAY for you!!

Caroline said...

Those four minute commutes can make all of the difference! It is fun to be part of the world of research and essays. it wil be fun to hear about your experiences!