Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Concerts with girls

For many months (since September actually) I've thought about writing about the phenomenon called "High School Musical." For those without younger children who stay glued to the Disney Channel(s) 24/7, or for those who don't frequent Limited Two, this may be a new thing.

Rather than provide you with a synopsis of the movie you can check it out via IMDB, much easier. DN2 fell in love with both the movie and the soundtrack, and because she is 8, she of course thinks that Zac Efron who plays the lead is extremely cute.

More background information. When DN1 was 8 I took her to her first concert. It was important to me that we do this mother-daughter bonding thing, and especially at a concert that was pro-female and a positive experience. So we saw Tori Amos (Under the Pink tour). And then 2 years later we saw Tori again (Boys for Pele tour). DN2 knows about this, and she also knows that her sister is a veteran concert-goer (ask DN1 how many times she has seen Thirty Seconds to Mars). Anyway, DN2 has been dying to go see a concert. So at the last minute, literally the morning of the show, I bought tickets.

Because they were last-minute tickets DN2 didn't know, so when I came home from work she was in her bed, crying, saying that half the kids on her bus were going to see High School Musical and she really wanted to go (in 2nd grade math "half the kids" really equals 2, but we won't quibble). So when I told her that we were going too she was so excited she didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was cute.

We got to the concert where there was a mob of mothers and daughters, some fathers, and even an emo kid or two. When the concert actually started, DN2 was so excited she was crying. Here are my girls waiting for the show:

I did get DN1 to take the earbuds out and put down the cell - no texting during the concert! And here it comes:






It was a good show and everyone enjoyed it. Even I liked it, though it did feel like a 2 1/2 hour Disney commercial. Unfortunately Zac Efron wasn't there since he is up in Toronto filming Hairspray, but Drew Seeley did a good job as the male lead. And if I were a more involved parent I could tell you the names of the characters, but the only high school basketball show I watch is The White Shadow because that is the 70s time warp I am stuck in.

And I will give props to Disney for buying their female stars some AMAZING shoes.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I took Movie Boy to see Jimmy Buffett... :) He fell asleep. And I took him to see Tricia Yearwood when he was 3. He spent the whole time running around the park (it was an open-air thing). Those were our bonding-over-music moments. Now he's into rap so he's on his own... ;)