Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I know what I did this past weekend

How about you?
Other than my day of sloth on Monday we actually had a fun-filled weekend.
On Saturday we went ice skating and had a good time. Well, crappy rental skates (no toe pick and plastic boots - can you say foot pain?), but good enough that we are actually considering buying some skates and going more often. I grew up ice skating, but not at a rink, we went down to the pond and skated around and away from the edges where the frozen cattails were. Now people put helmuts on their kids' heads and knee pads. Man, times are changing.
Anyway, on Sunday we headed out to the Strong National Museum of Play.
What an amazing place.
I wish that I were 8 again, because there was so much to do there!
You could work in a post office, see the butterfly garden, sit in the cockpit of an airplane, walk through Adventures in Reading and see where the troll was from the Three Billy Goats Gruff (I have a thing for trolls, even took my picture with him).
It was fantastic.
They even had a Wegmans supermarket there where the kids could go and shop for items and then ring them up.

Once you've done your grocery shopping and you can scan it yourself. Well the kids can. If the adults want to do it, they can go apply for a job at the store.

You can even print up a receipt to take with you. It's actually pretty cool. Great marketing for the supermarket, I say as a jaded consumer, but fun for the kids.
There were craft tables all over the museum.
And you didn't have to worry about the mess!
Now that's what I call fun!

Even DH got into the act, working on some boondoggle with DN2.
The second floor had all sorts of toys that you could look at, but you could play at the table with the Tiddlywinks and Lincoln Logs if you so desired.
I ended up buying a family pass for the year - much cheaper than just paying each time. And it is a great place.
So, you can see why I earned a well-deserved day of sloth on Monday - I was playing all weekend.

No comments: