Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RIP Davy Jones

You really were my favorite Monkee.
I remember watching your show when I was four years old, staying up late, and past my older brothers' bedtimes - they used to get so mad because I could stay up and they couldn't.
Honey, nothing stands between me and what I want.
It's the beauty of being the youngest, and the only girl.
But The Monkees - I used to sit in my room and listen to their records.
I still have all of those records, and I don't know that I would ever part with them.
Today when I saw the email come into my in box that announced Davy Jones had died, I shouted.
My boss yelled, "What's wrong?"
I said, "Davy Jones from The Monkees is dead."
He replied, "I thought it was something important."
"It is!" I told him.
But how do you tell someone that a little part of your childhood died today.
Oh well, no one can take away my memories.
Here's a song that is currently making the rounds on the Web:



Two interesting points:

  1. When he tells us in the first verse that "the shaving razor's cold and it stings" Davy looks so young that it's hard to believe he's even started shaving yet.
  2. I find it interesting that this now-popular video features Davy walking off alone at the end of the song. Anyone see any similar symbolism to The Beatles and Paul is dead rumors, along with the front cover of "Abbey Road" with Paul out of step?

No comments: