Saturday, April 07, 2007

Vaya Con Dios all the way baby

Well we made it.
We're here in Virginia.
Back to our old stomping grounds, if only for a long weekend.
I didn't think I would miss it as much as I did.
Well I didn't know that I was missing it until I came back down here.
What have I been missing?
The traffic on I-95 with the six lane highway and two lane HOV?
Yup.
The stupid drivers?
Yup (sort of).
The blatant consumerism?
Yup.
Jo-Jo's Soft Serve ice cream?
Yup.
My crappy old house?
Yup.
All of it.
And I certainly miss driving 85 mph and still being "with the flow of traffic."
Can't do that where I live.
Well, I may miss it a bit less when I run into all the traffic on I-95 again on Monday, but right now, on Saturday night, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.
After all I spent (all together) 13 years of my life here in Northern Virginia.
And if you do the math I only spent 17 years in New York. Okay, plus 1 1/2 more years since we moved up there in August 2005.
And don't try to do the math - because I'm much more than 31 - yes, the lost years in between 43 and 31.
But anyway, I'm really almost more of a Virginian than a Yankee (and to Jean I'll always be a redneck I'm sure).
Hmm...something to think about.
Anyway - to answer Caroline's comment, I do have two pairs of the knitting needles with lights, but truthfully, my hands are usually in the popcorn during the movie so I don't even try to knit because I'm such a sh*tty knitter to begin with, I can't afford to get greasy butter all over a project that I can ruin by dropping stitches anyway! Which leads me to this thought: Do I go to the movies for the movie or for the popcorn. I still can't give a definitive answer.
And Angelika - thanks for the offer for Cadbury Mini-Eggs (my fav!) but here in my friend's house she has Longaberger baskets filled with them!!! She says their her favorite too! Ahhh...chocolate heaven.
Blades of Glory was a stupid movie - stupid funny and I enjoyed every second of it.
We've been taking lots of pictures for the blog, but can't post them until I get back.
So Happy Easter to all!

2 comments:

Angelika said...

I'm glad to hear you have your chocolate fix. Movies in my house are hard to watch with the kids getting in the way. Usually after three attempts I finally get the story. We have free HBO at the moment, so maybe I'll get to finish the Lakehouse before I have to rent the movie. I hate seeing bits and pieces and trying to put the story together myself. Right now I need a knitting fix and a quick one too. Any suggestions?

Kat said...

Just yesterday Movie Boy brought up Jo-Jos to me and how much he missed it!!!

As for me, I miss Ikea. I miss watching hot Marines walk in front of the office window at lunch. And I miss the blind guy's daily collision with the front door and Jimmy the barber.