Friday, April 27, 2007

Snippets of life

So Jean wrote me and asked if SN2 went to school on Monday.
She said that if she had children she would home-school them, that way they would know exactly where the violence was going to come from.
She's too funny sometimes, I'll tell ya.
This weekend there is a parade in town -- I took pictures of it last year.
The parade is held each year for this boy who had leukemia (or some form of cancer) and he requested it as part of his make-a-wish request. So each year they hold this parade in his honor - and it has been going on for over 10 years now.
Believe it or not, the boy who wished for it is now a strapping teenager and doing very well. And he marches in the parade every year.
A happy ending story.
This year DN2 is supposed to march in the parade with her Brownie troop but she has swimming lessons and can't make it. I'm sure she'll survive -- she likes the lessons and the thing is when the parade ends, it finishes right across from the building where her swimming lessons are.
So bonus for us is that we'll already have a great parking spot and then she can participate in the festivities that follow the parade!
Although I hear it's supposed to rain.
We'll see.
I saw this in the paper this morning:
Rochester Region Rated No. 6 Place to Live
It's hard to believe something like this when you live here, but when you compare it to other places it sure is a lot more bucolic. Okay, well since I live outside of the city in a small town, west of everywhere, my life is a bit more bucolic.
"Boring," the kids say.
Funny thing is, I was once one of those kids complaining about boredom.
I used to think Neil Young wrote the song "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" about my hometown.
And speaking of Neil Young, belated happy birthday wishes go out to my friend Rick.
He probably thinks I'm a total shit because he even called me on his birthday to find out what is going on with SN1.
What a great guy - and a great friend.
So happy birthday to you.
Busy weekend coming up -- the girls and I (that would be DN1 and DN2) are going to see Tartuffe here on campus. I'm excited, but then I love French satire (Voltaire, Moliere, de Maupassant).
And that darned paper. Must begin outline -- must begin to write.
One more class left and then the semester is over.
Come on, Julie, you can do it.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Those dang papers! They are kind of fun to think about and sooooo fun to be done with, but that in between part is the pits!! I'm pushing for you! I'm hoping to be finished with my thesis by June. The pressure's off for the college job though. They never called me...I'm just a little sad.

Do you like The Woman in White. It's on my summer "fun" list