Monday, July 02, 2007

Status and Updates

Well my mother is having surgery this morning to get pins put in her hip.
It is fractured.
So my weekend has been spent doing things with my sister-in-law, who is visiting until Thursday, and running to the hospital or picking up my stepfather or being on the telephone to my relatives.
I did finish the handbag for DN2 but because I need to sew the straps to the body no pictures of that yet, but I do have pictures of Amanda's Squatty Sidekick.
Here it is before being felted:
And here it is after felting:
The picture is a little dark - sorry!
And fuzzy. Sorry again!
But it came out okay.
The bag not the picture.
And you can see I ended up making the strap a bit longer and then stretching it out a tad more.
I only used one strand of Noro Kureyon so it's not an uber-firm bag, but it suits my purposes.
I do need to find a button - I'm thinking something chunky and green, but I haven't had a chance to get to the store yet.
I did use the kitchener stitch to graft the handle and also to make a loop for the flap.
I have found that Debbie Stoller’s Stitch and Bitch book has pretty good directions and I like the simple way they explain the kitchener stitch.
I only goofed up a bit on the button loop.
And...the grafting of the strap handles was done backwards.
Kind of like how I planted my bleeding heart upside down.
Backwards, upside down - either way, it still works!
My second project this weekend is a felted hat. I haven't finished it yet primarily because I don't have any size 11 circulars.
Hard to believe, right?
If I have them they are nowhere to be found.
(And Angelika, I just didn't find the right combo yet for the Chevron Scarf so I'll have to get some yarn for that.)
Perhaps I'll go hit up Michael's or A.C. Moore for some of the things I need.
But with everything else going on I may as well start looking for something else to knit.
Lord knows I could work on some socks, right?
My sister-in-law and DN2 were able to find some time for manis and pedis on Friday - check out their nails:
Hope the week goes much better than the weekend!!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she's doing better. I'm always sad to hear that someone has had a worse weekend than I.

Love the bag. I've wanted to make it.Isn't felting great? It hides all mistakes.

Angelika said...

I didn't find any yet either, don't worry. I'm currently recycling a lambs wool sweater from the closet. It's black so it's really hard to see the stitches without nipping the sweater.

Angelika said...

I forgot. I love the bag. I have 3 1/2 balls of wool of the andes. Would that be enough for the bag?

Jennifer said...

Good luck to your Mom. Having pins put in just sounds painful. I hope it goes well. I LOVE your felted bag. It looks like it will be well-loved. Great colors.