Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Some people are just jerks

Did you see this article Hacker Claims Harry Potter's Alleged Ending on Web. The article states:
The mystery surrounding the end to fictional British boy wizard Harry Potter's saga deepened on Wednesday with a computer hacker posting what he said were key plot details and a publisher warned the details could be fake.

So essentially some guy (who calls himself Gabriel) with no life stopped hacking into stores for our credit card information for a few moments and went after Harry Potter.
Why?
"We make this spoiler to make reading of the upcoming book useless and boring," Gabriel said in the posting.

It's a rather random rationale and there is no other information provided as to the impetus of his actions.
I suppose if I went to the site where he has posted this alleged truthful information I would find out why, but I think this guy is a jerk so I won't go there.
The publishers are stating that there is "spurious information" out there on the web concerning the final book and I have no doubt there is, but why the burning need for some to find out and then ruin it for others?
Part of the joy is the suspense in waiting.
It reminds me of the story, which I can't find at the moment, of the folks in New York City waiting at the docks for the ship from England to arrive and provide them with the final installment of Dickens' The Old Curiosity Shop. They shouted, "What happens to Little Nell?" - well it's our turn, we can now say, "What happens to Harry?" and we can all wait for July 21st to find out.
This guy Gabriel probably opens all his Christmas presents early too.
As for me, I'm counting down the days, and I will wait patiently to find out what will happen to Harry and crew.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a jerk! I love the story of the Old Curiosity Shop. Anticipation is half the fun!

I also don't understand people who read the ending first.