Thursday, January 10, 2013

What Brings You Joy?

It's the middle of winter.
The bleak midwinter.
There have been songs written about this time.
(Isn't Annie Lennox amazing? Love her.)



Yes, earth like iron, water like stone. Cold. Frigid. Dead (or incubating).
Well, for the Southern Hemisphere it's the middle of summer, but I'm not talking about them.
I'm talking about us.
Me, specifically.
Sure it's going to be some horrifically anomalous temperature on Saturday, like 58 degrees or something, but we still have icy sidewalks, my driveway is a sheet of ice, and there are still about three or four inches of snow in the backyard.
Christmas is over, May and June seem a long way off, the economy sucks, and the price of gas has never returned to pre-Katrina prices.
It's hard to find joy at this time of year.
This year, however, in an effort to remain positive, I'm going to stop each week and see if I can find some thing (or two or three) that brings me joy.
It may be hard, and honestly I'll probably forget from time to time, but I think it's important to search for those things and draw upon them when low.
Because I feel some low times coming.
Today I can share with you the color blue.
Blue brings me great joy.
Not necessarily baby or light blues, but the deep rich blue of midnight:

Or the brilliant blue of lapis lazuli:

I even like Navy Blue.
I could surround myself with the color blue everyday, and it would always bring me peace, and with peace comes joy, right? (Although I'm wondering why my fingers keep typing "peach" when I really mean "peace.")
So I will share this yarn with you today because the colors of this particular one bring me great joy just to look at them.
Here's the picture from the Jimmy Beans Wool website - the yarn is Schoppel Wolle Zauberball Yarn in I don't know what color - number 2178:

It's dark, I know.
Here are pictures of the skein I received, and hopefully these are a little more true to the colors:




If I could take this yarn and place it under a piece of glass and look at it every day (and sometimes take it out and stroke it), I think I would have what would calm me - bring me peace - give me joy.
It's the deep blue, bright blue and emerald green combination that sells it for me.
Can you find one true thing a week that brings you joy?

No comments: