Thursday, January 03, 2013

Must Remember to Write Thank You Note

If I tell myself that often enough, perhaps I will.
This year for Christmas, my boss gave me, and my two co-workers, Barnes and Noble gift cards.
$50 buckaroonis.
Oh yeah.
And what to spend it on - wow - the choices, but better yet, I had coupons!
For some reason that I'll never really figure out I pay the $25 a year (or however much it is) to Barnes and Noble to get their member discount.
I really don't shop there often, and I'm trying not to have as many "paper" books in my house (have to get ready for the retirement move to South America in __?__ years).
But a gift card - and coupons that come just in time for Christmas - I could buy knitting books!
Knitting books will make the move with me to SA, just in case you're wondering.
Here's what I ended up buying:


Anna Hrachovec's Teeny-Tiny Mochimochi.
I love her knitting - just looking at the .gifs on her blog is amazing - everything she makes is so cute and for the most part happy! I saw this book in a store in Soho, and thought, why should I pay $16 for a kit when I can get the book for cheaper!
I don't know that I'll ever knit anything from here, but I'm sure I'd better do it soon before the age-related arthritis makes it impossible. All those teeny, tiny little...mochimochis!



Ann Budd's Sock Knitting Master Class.
I have her book, Getting Started Knitting Socks, and it really helped me quite a bit. It still does.
So even though I'll probably never knit the socks on the cover (too many colors, egads, I'd screw it all up), I thought that this would be a good book to get. Plus it has a DVD.
Can't beat that when you're a visual learner!

I also bought a couple of magazines which, if you're not careful, can cost as much as a book!
I picked up Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts, and Quick Knits from Classic Elite Yarns (which, oddly enough, I can't find anywhere on the internet -- was I the only person to buy a copy of this publication???).
Regardless, I do so like Classic Elite - inexpensive, yet still good yarn.
I did splurge on some tea, and of course Godiva chocolates - no wait, I didn't buy those - no, of course not - and some Starbucks Christmas coffee which comes in handy for those last minute, whoops I forgot you gifts.
I wanted to buy Ann Budd's book Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters, but sadly the price that was on the Website was lower than the in-store price, so I decided to wait for another time to get that one.
One of these days I will begin knitting sweaters.
Okay, let me clarify, knit a sweater, and then complete it before I rip it out in frustration.
So, many thanks to my boss for the gift card - now I just need to remember to write out a thank you note!



1 comment:

Caroline said...

I like those little "mochi" knits, and I almost just impulsively ordered the Interweave Knits mag before I remember, "Oh yeah, you weren't the one who got the gift card, and you're trying to get out of debt this year.." Sounds like you're set for some more snowy days where you can just knit all day inside!

Are you really going to retire to South America? I'm intrigued.