Sunday, June 08, 2008

A Successful Walk

Well we did it.
Yes, all of us.
You, me, the family.

A big thanks to those who donated - I cannot begin to tell you how appreciative I am of your support.
There were over 300 people (and quite a few dogs) who walked yesterday to help raise money for AIDS research.
And was it ever hot.
I thought some people were going to be ill and drop from heat exhaustion.
I started feeling a bit of cramp myself, and I've had heat cramps once and I never want to have them again.
The walk was 3.2 miles long and started at 11:00. The first leg was all downhill so that wasn't so bad, but then we had to go up some on Elmwood Ave and then up some more on Mt. Hope Ave. It was lovely walking around Highland Park, past Mt. Hope Cemetery (and some of its famous residents, such as Susan B. Anthony, Frederick Douglass and Messrs Bausch and Lomb to name a few) and past some lovely houses.
But man, was it hot.
Have I said that already?
Because DN2 was dying.
And I was dying but guess what.
I kept on knitting.
I had several people comment on my knitting while walking.
Well gosh, what else am I supposed to do with my hands?
Swing them?
Of course I was knitting.
I have a sock to finish and another to start.
Time management, my friends.
Some people ended up on the local news - here is a link to the website and you can watch a video. None of us are in there but we did see almost all of the people in the newscast. DN1 told us that the Mayor said over $111,000 was raised for AIDS research.
Wow.
I'm so pleased we accomplished our goal, and DN1 was even there working with her radio station.
DN2 won a DVD - no, it wasn't fixed, she actually won the movie - National Treasure: Book of Secrets. We got home and I had such a headache from the heat that I sat on the couch for the rest of the evening and watched One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest with DH.
We'll have to start training for next year and if I know New York weather it will probably be 50 degrees and raining.
That's how things go around here.

No comments: