Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Book Rate

I went to the post office today to mail some books to Caroline.
Before the rates for delivery could pop up on the little screen, I told the man at the counter to send them book rate.
I've had luck with that method of delivery before, and the package is only going to California.
That's my rationale.
The guy said, "You do realize that delivery speed for book rate packages to California is 2 weeks."
I scoffed, and said, "I don't think it will take that long, I have faith in the U.S. Postal Service."
It was his turn to scoff at me, as well as the people behind me in line (really, they did - well I work with one woman, so she was laughing at me, not just being cruel).
He said, "They've changed the rules now. These packages go by truck, and they don't wait until the truck is mostly full, they wait until it is full full, and then they go."
Full full being a new method of measurement, I gather.
So, Caroline, expect to see your books by spring break.
Don't blame me for the delay, though, it's that full full truck we're all waiting on.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ugh. We have a curmudgeon at our Post Office, too. He constantly gets complaints because he's so bad. He actually enjoys making people feel bad.