Thursday, January 19, 2012

Safe Return - Catherine Dexter

Below is a book I had to get from another library as I believe it is currently out of print.
Sure you can find copies, but remember, I'm not buying books this year.
This story taught me a few things - or at least caused me to explore a bit further - about "Sweaterhags" a phrase that when used will cause your search to be automatically redirected you to "sweater bags."
No, that's not what I said.
Sadly, I can't find a lot of information about these women, but here's what is written on the book jacket:

Catherine Dexter says the story of Safe Return was inspired by a true incident in 1824 on the island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea. "I discovered it while reading a book of knitting patterns from the island and thought, 'This is too good to pass up.'" 
I'm presuming the mitten book she is talking about is The Mitten Book: Delightful Swedish Country Mitten Patterns with Traditional Designs to Use for All Your Hand or Machine Knitting Projects.
Well, that title is quite a mouthful. I'd love to look at the book, but sadly I believe the knitting level for the mittens is beyond my skill set. Interlibrary loan? Possibly.
That's how I got Safe Return, and here's my short review:

Safe ReturnSafe Return by Catherine Dexter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you're a knitter, you'll love this book. If you're not a knitter, you'll still love it. It's a sweet little tale about an orphan girl who lives with her aunt and uncle on a Swedish isle. Ursula, the young girl, does not know how to knit, and everyone on the isle knits. Even the men. This causes her a lot of anxiety, and adds to her feeling of being an outcast amongst the island-born natives. As Ursula's aunt prepares to leave for her annual pilgrimmage to Stockholm to sell sweaters at the market, Ursula's fears of being orphaned by yet another mother figure are all too present. For adults this is a quick, yet enjoyable read, and for the younger crowd this is a good life lesson in self-sufficiency and faith. That this tale is based on a historic event makes it even more interesting, and the author has added depth to the supporting characters so that Ursula's fears and daily anxieties are much more tangible, and all too real.


View all my reviews

No comments: