Monday, January 23, 2012

Long Live Rock

Music is such a big part of my life.
I realize that I should probably be listening to more non secular music, but I'm sure the Lord will forgive me for finding inspiration in all types of music.
And music can be inspirational, and bring good feelings of harmony and love.
It also causes us to think.
Sometimes we think about why a particular artist is popular even though they have no discernible talent, can't sing without auto tune, and never perform completely live.
Then there are musicians and artists who you don't have to wonder why or how they're so talented - they just blow your socks off.
Elton John is certainly one of them.
The man is talented - we can't even begin to doubt that.
I remember that for a long time (in the 70s) I didn't really like him.
Why?
Because it wasn't cool.
At least to my friends.
Fortunately I'm at the stage in my life where I don't give a right crap what others think (but you will tell me if I've offended you at any point, won't you?) so I listen to the music I like.
And I could never understand why I stopped openly liking Elton John when secretly I adored his music.
His songs are not really just "songs" but more like anthems.
Ones that encourage audiences to sing along.
I've never had the pleasure to see him live, and you know, I'm okay with that.
I hate crowds anyway.
If I could go back in time, however, when his voice was in its prime, there are certain songs I'd want to hear him perform.
So for your listening pleasure here are some great songs with which to start your day.
Enjoy.







And this last one I include - even though it's not a complete version of the song - because it really embodies that anthem-like, crowd-unifying spirit of Elton John's music (and, I believe, Bernie Taupin's lyrics - couldn't cook with fire without him). Cameron Crowe really captured that feeling, don't you think?



For the record, I know that Elton John did not sing "Long Live Rock."
I like The Who too.

No comments: