Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My Days of Leisurely Mornings Have Come to an End

It is the first day of school.
I couldn't wait until 7:15 to get into the shower, I had to get up and take a shower before SN2 got in there at 6:00.
See, I don't have to be to work until 8:00.
Since I ride my bike it usually takes me about 7 minutes to get there, so I don't end up leaving the house until 7:50 or so which puts me in my office, after storing my bike, right on time.
Granted I get up every day at 5:00 or thereabouts.
So what do I do for almost 3 hours every morning?
Knit, read, watch tv, play on Webkinz -- generally fart around.
Well and do laundry, dishes, and gather the garbage.
But no more more sitting around having leisurely mornings anymore.
Why?
The kids are back in school.
Yesterday we went to DN2's open house and met her teacher.
We asked the teacher who DN2's PE teacher is going to be and she replied, "Miss She's Your Cousin, That's Who."
Really! It's true! DN2's PE teacher is my first cousin, making her DN2's second cousin.
I actually had my cousin as my PE teacher and diving coach when I was in high school.
It's a small town and my grandparents had seven children.
As a matter of fact I work with a second cousin and his wife - it's kind of cool. And two other guys who are the nephews of my uncle (through marriage). But I digress.
Anyway we found out that DN2's teacher is very good friends with "Miss She's Your Cousin, That's Who" and even went on a trip with her over the summer.
So when DN2 was feeling a bit nervous yesterday about going to school I said, "Don't worry, your teacher will probably think that if she's mean to you Miss She's Your Cousin, That's Who will come and get her."
I doubt it, but it brought a bit of comfort to her.
SN2, on the other hand, just called me five minutes ago from school and said, "I can't remember which class I'm supposed to go to for advisement."
I can see we'll have a productive year again.
To quote Borat, "Not!"
Our weekend has been spent watching soccer and critiquing (and criticizing) the coach.
SN2 made the varsity team (did I tell you that?) and we've been to two night games so far and the temperature makes me wish that I were knitting an afghan so I could keep warm.
On Saturday night it was 55 degrees.
How can that be?
It's only September!!
I guess along with my leisurely mornings coming to an end, so has the summer.
Hasta la vista warm days and nights, bienvenido ass-freezing cold.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We're still hot and very humid here! I envy your early morning habits--I am NOT a morning person and struggle to get up on time every day. I would love to have more time for fun!