Saturday, March 03, 2007

....and now I'm passing it on to you

I survived the Brownie lock in.
I misrepresented the event when I said it was "Girl Scouts."
Yes, they are technically Girl Scouts, but go a few grades younger and think of 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders.
Anyway, it went off without a hitch, even though my hackles were up at the beginning.
The supposed organizer of the event came into the gym just before opening ceremonies and shouted out to everyone, "How are you guys doing tonight?!?"
Grrr...
She then said, "Are you guys ready to have some fun?!?"
Arrgh...
A gym filled with 75 Brownie Girl Scouts and not one "guy" in sight, except for the one dad sitting over in the corner.
Hello!!!
Even my daughter looked at me and said, "We're not guys."
Well, she's been trained so I expect that kind of awareness and reaction from her.
I understand that saying "guys" to people is truly an American colloquialism, but we really need to pay attention to how we use it.
To my leader's credit, when she began speaking to the group at large, she referred to them as either "ladies" or "girls" which is what they are.
I mentioned how irritating I find this to our other leader and she nodded in agreement and said she had never thought about it before.
I looked at her and said, "Now you will, forever and always. I have passed this on to you."
She looked at me and replied, "Thanks."
She's welcome.

1 comment:

Justine said...

She's quicker than a speeding bullet...with her comebacks anyways.
That's right she's grammatically correct mom!
Correcting the errors of our modern day lexicon, one girl scout leader at at time...


haha did that woman give you a hefty stare down after you told her she will now forever be aggravated by the term "guys" being applied to general meetings filled with solely those of the XX chromosome persuasion? or was her thanks sincere? I could see her being a big meany about it. anywho, way to correct those silly women who fall under the trap of saying "guys".