Thursday, November 30, 2006

Mediocre films

There are some films out there that are really not very good yet I continue to watch them every time they are on. And quite often I think fondly about a particular movie, even if it has a banal storyline and the acting is so-so.
Why is this?
I think it is because of familiarity.
These are movies where I can begin watching in any part of the story and know what happens before and what happens after. Primarily because I really hate catching movies I have never watched in the middle of the story.
And so I think it is odd, really, to watch something that isn’t a “great” movie by any stretch of the imagination but be so devoted to it.
Two movies instantly come to mind: “Empire Records” and “Singles”.
Neither of them great movies, although certainly reminiscent of the early 90’s, a time when I wasn’t even living in this country so I missed that whole jeans and flannels, Kurt Cobain-ish style, although I did have some Doc Martens that I bought on Carnaby Street. They both have great soundtracks for sure, but the actual movie? Meh. Although they are funny in their own mediocre way.
"Singles" was on this morning and so I stopped what I was doing (getting ready for work) to watch it. Of course this movie does have many redeeming qualities, such as appearances by Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. I’d watch them work their way out of a paper bag.
But as far as the movie in general - not worthy of more than five stars.
What movies do you like that aren’t very good?

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I have to admit I have a serious weakness for Broken Lizard movies, which most sane people probably rate as not very good .. in particular, I love "Super Troopers" and "Beerfest" for their sheer silliness