Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Two wooden sticks, some string and some things

Now that Easter is over, it is time to put away the Longaberger Easter baskets. I am still unpacking, and rather upset that I have not located all my Easter baskets, but here is a photo of those that I did find (minus the four that are upstairs and filled with candy -- why won't kids share???). I hardly ever buy Longaberger Christmas baskets, but I have about eight years worth of their Easter baskets.



It is also time to start thinking about knitting again. I have been so busy with schoolwork, and with that behind me – at least the paper writing part – I can pick up the two sticks and the ball of "string" that continue to defeat me upon occasion. I have come to the conclusion that the reason I screw up is because I am both easily distracted and just not a great knitter, but I try, and that’s all anyone can ask for. I know that I will never be as good as the Yarn Harlot or Wendy or my own personal knitting goddess, but at least I can dream that someday I’ll complete half the projects they complete. My latest creation is a poncho for daughter number two (DN2) that would look better on her than on me, and would also work better in the fall than in the spring. That’s okay, because I won’t get it done before the fall. Hopefully this fall! Here’s my progress so far:



I am still working on my alien scarf, and as much as I love the little guys, it’s a lot of counting and an 80 row pattern repeat for six faces! Some of you may notice that I switched my colors. The way this happened is I had my yarn and my Stitch and Bitch book. I cast on with green and started stitching before checking the internet and finding out that there is a correction! Too late – I had already started. So instead of green-faced aliens, I have black-faced aliens. Those are my guys, marching to the beat of a different drummer.



I also have another scarf going – the Irish Hiking Scarf. Guess my husband didn’t get this for the winter; perhaps by next winter. I really like this pattern, and I feel cool about cabling (although this hardly qualifies as complicated cabling), but it too has the potential to get boring after a while. I just want it to be done already. Plus I dropped a stitch when I was cabling and I have yet to find my knitting bag with all the little extras things you need, so I just set the scarf down and haven’t picked it up in two or three weeks. I’m almost afraid to move it (although I did move the shelf it is on and the scarf did not come tumbling down, thank goodness).



So perhaps my problem isn’t the aforementioned reasons, but may be because I am just a lazy knitter. That could be it. What could also be my problem is the fact that I’m watching bad 70’s movies, like this: The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane and Thank God It's Friday and not knitting enough (I've got to dance to Donna Summer singing Last Dance, of course). And my husband would say I do too much knitting and not enough cleaning. Now can you think why he would say that?



I just can't imagine why....

7 comments:

Kat said...

Well you say your are a lazy knitter, but you are leaps and bounds ahead of me in substantial projects. You are the Scarf Queen. Oh wow, there's a blog name for ya. I myself have reverted to dish towels. And I'm screwing them up. But ya gotta love them.

And LOVE the longerberger. You inspire me. And now you have the house to display them all. Which means you should....

BUY MORE!!!

And oh, did you hear Katie had the baby? Wonder what Tom named it??

Micky said...

I certainly don't mind you linking to me!
And once again, similarities. I started an alien scarf eons ago. But it is in it's little bag, waiting for me to some day pick it back up. I like the individuality of yours!
:)

Jennifer said...

I love the knitting, Longaberger baskets, LOVE the alien scarf and am a bit overwhelmed by the Bekins boxes. If you need help, I'm a wonder at unpacking (although I do think you have a wee bit experience). I can hardly wait to see everyone this weekend!!!

Jennifer said...

I love the knitting, Longaberger baskets, LOVE the alien scarf and am a bit overwhelmed by the Bekins boxes. If you need help, I'm a wonder at unpacking (although I do think you have a wee bit experience). I can hardly wait to see everyone this weekend!!!

Jennifer said...

I love the knitting, Longaberger baskets, LOVE the alien scarf and am a bit overwhelmed by the Bekins boxes. If you need help, I'm a wonder at unpacking (although I do think you have a wee bit experience). I can hardly wait to see everyone this weekend!!!

Justine said...

so we have given up on the poncho for me and it has now progressed onto to jessica? cool beans...its all gravy...

Julie said...

I stand corrected - the poncho is going to daughter number one (DN1), not DN2. It is my error.