Monday, March 22, 2010

Is it too late to knit socks for winter?

Or maybe it's too early?
The weather was agreeable this weekend, but Sunday while sunny was still very cool.
I finished a sock on Saturday morning.
Check it out, it's quite cute:



Yarn is Schoeller and Stahl Sockina Cotton Summer Dream in Forest.
I really like the colors, that's what drew me to the yarn, but knitting socks on size 2's doesn't move very quickly.
I don't want to say that I became afflicted with SSS, but I did consider other socks to knit instead of starting the second one.
How did I beat SSS?
I cast on for the second sock, but then I cast on for a different pair as well.
This time the satisfaction is a bit more immediate.
Of course it would help if I didn't have such huge feet.
That makes knitting socks take a really long time.
And seriously, look at the difference between an 8 and a 3 (or is it a 2?):



I should be knitting socks for the baby across the street, she has tiny feet for an 18 month old.
Oh well, I'll stick with these new socks on size 8's, Lion Wool in rose:



DH said that he thinks they'll be itchy.
I can't say I disagree, but I think they'll be great in winter (or those cold fall/spring days) with a pair of boots.
A small consolation would be to wear a pair of white socks underneath.
Either way, I don't think I'll get much wear out of this pair right away.
They'll be ready for fall 2010.
So no, I don't think it's too early to knit socks for next winter.
After all, in New York State we only have two seasons: winter and construction, and I think winter is just about over, don't you?

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I often struggle with sss, but I had never thought of your preventive technique. You get the joy of starting something new without the guilt of ignoring an unfinished project. Both socks look great. Of course, I'm more partial to the pink!