Thursday, April 19, 2012

Two Men

We lost two men today who had an impact on my life.
I've never met either of them, but they are ever-present in my memory.
Earlier today I saw that Jonathan Frid, the actor who played Barnabas Collins in "Dark Shadows" passed away.
When I was in kindergarten (back in the day, way, way back), I used to get home and off the bus just in time to catch the 4:00 airtime of Dark Shadows.
I don't know that I necessarily understood the show, and I mostly remember the scarabs as well as Barnabas, but it is a firm memory.
Here's a very funny annotation made to the moment Barnabas shows up at Collinwood.



Oh that ring, how I remember that ring!
For those uninitiated, this is a very "raw" show, and by raw I mean live and not altogether polished.
But good stuff for teenagers (and kindergarteners) in the 60s.
This was shown again on TV when I was in 7th grade or thereabouts, so I would rush home (but not as quickly as the 5 year old me did) and watch the show then too.
Great stuff.
Nostalgic camp.
RIP Jonathan/Barnabas.

Even sadder is the passing of Levon Helm.
You may know him from The Band, you may know him as Loretta Lynn's father in Coal Miner's Daughter. You may also know him as an amazing drummer and singer.
RIP Levon.
Here's a couple of songs we can listen to and glory at your talent.


No comments: