Thursday, April 12, 2012

Blinded by Science

Yesterday our campus observed Scholars' Day, a day when over 300 students, faculty and staff present papers, works of art, posters, and dance routines.
No classes on this day, just an opportunity to see what others are pursuing with regards to scholarly work.
When I go to presentations, I usually head to ones from the English or History Department, or to support a student I know.
This year I just went over for the free lunch.
I'm not all that interested in science, so I usually skip those presentations, but mostly because I'm intimidated by the topic.
Some of the titles even scare me.
Check this one out:
"Examination of the Relationship Between the Quasi-biennial Oscillation, the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, the Southern Oscillation, and the Accumulated Cyclone Energy in the Atlantic Basin."
Wow.
Or this one:
"Characterization of Melanin-concentrating Hormone 1 Receptor Expression in SH-SY5Y Neuroblastoma Cells: A Potential Role for Receptor Clustering in the Regulation of MCH Signaling."
Yeah.
These are some smart students.
I'm just not much of a scientist.
I wish that I were, but I'm not.
This picture represents the extent of my interest in scientific pursuits:


So, yeah, I can haz string?

No comments: