Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Knitting Knews

Last week it was just too darn hot to knit. The weekend before it was so cold I started working on an afghan. But then it got hot and at that point I really wished that I knew how to knit socks. I still wish that I knew how, and at the yarn shop closest to where I work, Spirit Works Knitting and Designs, they are having a sock class. I may sign up for it. The summertime calls for something lightweight, and with all the soccer games we go to, I need something portable. And I really need to advance beyond scarves. Well, unless they’re lace scarves. I did finish my alien scarf. And by finish I mean, I’m done knitting, but the scarf is not “finished” yet. Someday. The hard part is done. I’ll post a picture here when I get home.

Now I am anxious to start on Wendy’s kitty bed for our two lovely kittens so I ordered the Noro Kureyon from Ram Wools and anxiously awaited my package. I mean honestly, who doesn’t love getting yarn in the mail? So yesterday it came! Unfortunately someone forgot to read the directions properly. The kitty bed doesn’t call for just plain old Noro Kureyon, it needs Noro Big Kureyon. Alas, I ordered the wrong yarn, but I won’t send it back, oh no. It’s too pretty. So if anyone has a great pattern that calls for three skeins of Noro Kureyon, let me know! It would definitely felt up beautifully as a new handbag for someone special (and that would be me!).

On another note, I drove in to work this morning listening to the Prairie Home Companion soundtrack and I can’t wait to see the movie this weekend! We all enjoy the radio show, and what’s unfortunate is that here in the “big city” we can only hear it once. In D.C., they played it twice; live on Saturday night and then repeated it on Sunday morning. More often than not when Saturday night rolls around here, I’m too busy to listen, which is unfortunate. Anyway, the movie is coming out and I’m anxious to see it. Meryl Streep, I’m sure, will be brilliant, as always. And if you haven’t read any of Garrison Keillor’s books, you should give them a try. He’s a pretty good writer…for a Democrat.
^_^

1 comment:

Micky said...

Yes even if I had bought the wrong kind of Noro, I wouldn't have sent it back either. There is no such thing as the wrong yarn, just the wrong pattern for that yarn. heehee
I haven't had the pleasure of working with it yet, but I am sure I will someday. We all have to try the really good stuff sometimes.
The first pair of socks I knit were the knee socks out of the SnB handbook. I only had baby yarn at the time so I used that to make them. It was the first time I ever used DPNs, so I learned to make socks and work with those at the same time. But now I am not afraid of the DPNs or sock patterns.
I am glad you are trying the socks. You will soon be making loads of them I'm sure.
:)