Friday, April 02, 2010

Weather Pessimist

Yesterday was a beautiful spring day. The temperature was in the 60's, the sun was warm and fell on the white legs and arms of people walking around in summer clothing.
Beer pong tables were out in force, with students holding up signs that read, "Honk and we'll drink!"
Just another lovely day in a small Western NY college town.
When I left work there was a girl sitting outside on a stairwell soaking up the sun. As she adjusted her low-cut tank dress, I said to her, "Great day to get some sun."
She replied, "I know! I have to get it while I can."
"Right, before the snow falls again," I joked.
"Yea, we're due."
"Overdue!" I had to add.
You see, we're all weather pessimists here.
We know that a sunny day in spring isn't the advent of months of sunny days, it's just a random sunny day that could be followed by a day with temps in the 40s, or even a day when the snow falls yet again.
We are seriously overdue for a spring snowfall, and it hasn't happened yet.
For the weather pessimists, it's not if it happens, but when.

3 comments:

Micky said...

You should live in TN. Here if you don't like the weather, wait about 5 minutes cause it will change.
The other day it was 38 degrees when I woke up at 7. By 2 it was almost 70. Seriously. No wonder everyone keeps colds.

Caroline said...

One of my students is planning to go to a community college somewhere in northern New York. I think she's going to have some "fun" adjusting.

It's great that you can still get your kids to decorate eggs. I keep thinking it will be our last year to do it, but the kids have been game for it...even if their skills haven't improved since they were ten, ha, ha.

ConcernedCitizen said...

Always great to hear about the weather in Upstate New York! We've been in the 70s and today this week we're suppose to be in the 80s! But along with the warm weather comes the pollen. Uggghhh! Time for more allergy medicine. Glad to see you're back to blogging. No Facebook or MySpace for me. Would rather toss stuff out every now and then. Hope all is well. Semper Fi! Rick