Thursday, December 04, 2008

Thursday Quiz - Depressing Stuff

Perhaps you have heard the news -- we've been in a recession since last year.
There are only two letters keeping the word "recession" from becoming the word "depression," so I'm pretty sure we're close to the big one.
At least gas prices are going down.
Anyway, I didn't mean to bring all doom and gloom to a blog post, but I read an interesting article this morning.
I'm sure many of you remember this photograph by Dorothea Lange.

It is an alarming image, and one that stays with you, whether you have read The Grapes of Wrath or not (which is one of my favorite books of all time). I equate this photo with Steinbeck's book because I feel he wrote the penultimate book about, not only the Great Depression, or how fast you can sink into total and utter despair, but also how far humans will go to keep themselves alive.
Great stuff - very moving and poignant. If you haven't read it, please do.
This Lange photo is iconic on its own, without Steinbeck's help, but I never thought about the children in the photo, mostly because the mother's face is what holds my attention.
And then I read this article on CNN about the girl on the left in the photo.
This is what amazes me - she is the same age as my mother.
Now there's some food for thought, for me at least.
We're back in tough economic times, and the Great Depression was not that long ago that we've totally forgotten the devastating affect it had on America.
I often wonder if I would survive a depression, and of course there is a quiz that helps me to find out!



You Are 45% Likely to Survive Another Great Depression



Your habits are pretty on par with the average person.
Unfortunately, this means your chances aren't good in another Great Depression.
Start saving your money now. Living in debt isn't doing you any favors.
Also figure out how to live a little more cheaply. Every little bit you can trim will help.


Of course this quiz doesn't ask basic questions I think should be included, such as, can you make your own clothing (well no, not yet), can you make socks (why yes, I can!), can you prepare your own canned food (I think I could).
So I'm thinking that if they included the questions I believe should be in there, that raises my chances to about 50%.
I'm going for it.
Do you think you would make it?

No comments: